Hey… yes, you

 Hey… yes, you.

I know I look like just another wet, muddy dog standing in the rain. But I used to have a name. I used to have a warm bed and someone who scratched my ears when I curled up beside them. Somewhere along the way, I got lost. Now I walk these streets alone, learning the rhythm of the rain and which alleyways stay warm on the coldest nights. Most people pass without a glance.

But every once in a while, someone stops. They kneel down, meet my eyes, and for a moment I remember what it felt like to be safe. That’s when my tail moves — just a little — because even the smallest kindness feels like sunlight after a storm.

I don’t know where I’ll be tomorrow. But if you see me, or a dog like me, out here in the rain, please remember: we’re not just strays. We’re stories. We’re hope on four legs, still waiting for someone to believe in us again. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster