Dinner time still breaks my heart

 Dinner time still breaks my heart.

It happened again tonight.
I looked at the clock and knew exactly what time it was before I even saw the numbers. My body remembered the routine… even though there is no routine anymore.
This was the time you would start watching me.
You always seemed to know dinner was getting close. You would follow me toward the kitchen, keeping just enough distance to pretend you weren’t waiting. Then I would turn around and find those hopeful eyes fixed on me, your tail giving you away.
Tonight, I walked into the kitchen alone.
Your bowl is still in its place on the floor. I have cleaned around it so many times, but I cannot bring myself to pick it up. Moving it feels like closing a door I am not ready to close.
So it stays there.
Empty.
And every evening, that emptiness says more than words ever could.
I miss the sound of your food falling into the bowl. I miss the little dance you did while I prepared it. I miss telling you to wait, even though we both knew waiting was never your favorite thing.
I even miss washing the bowl afterward.
Those small chores once felt so ordinary. I never understood that one day I would give anything to do them again.
Now dinner is just dinner.
There are no paws waiting near my feet. No collar softly jingling behind me. No sweet face checking whether I might accidentally drop something worth tasting.
The kitchen used to feel full because you were in it.
Now the quiet settles there before I do.
Sometimes I still reach toward the place where your food was kept. My hand moves before my heart can stop it. Then reality returns, and for a moment, losing you feels brand-new.
I wonder whether you knew how much those ordinary evenings meant to me.
I hope you knew that every bowl I filled was another way of saying, “You are mine to care for.”
I hope you felt safe, wanted, and loved every time you waited for me in that kitchen.
Tonight, I sat beside your empty bowl and whispered your name.
Maybe that sounds strange to someone who has never loved a dog this deeply. But I needed to say it where you used to hear it. I needed the room to remember you with me.
I do not know when I will be ready to move your bowl.
Maybe love does not need me to decide yet.
For now, it can stay where our days once met… holding nothing I can touch, but carrying years of trust, care, and the simple happiness of feeding my best friend.
And when evening comes again tomorrow, I know my heart will still look for you.
Until we meet again, my baby, there will always be a place for you beside me… and a place at home that still belongs only to you. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster