I turned expecting you
I turned expecting you.
It happened so quickly that my heart believed before my mind could stop it.A soft sound behind me.
A shadow moving near the doorway.
The faintest shift in the room…
and I turned with your name already rising to my lips.
For one second, you were still here.
I expected to see your face.
Your ears lifted.
Your tail beginning that familiar rhythm against the wall.
I expected you to be standing there like you always did, watching me as though whatever I was doing mattered simply because I was the one doing it.
But the doorway was empty.
And that tiny moment broke me all over again.
People talk about missing the big things.
The last goodbye.
The empty bed.
The collar that no longer jingles.
But sometimes grief lives inside a reflex.
It lives in the way my hand still reaches down beside the couch.
In the way I leave space near my feet without thinking.
In the way I turn when I hear another dog’s tags or feel something brush past my leg.
My body remembers you before my mind remembers you are gone.
That is how deeply you became part of me.
You were there in every ordinary moment.
Waiting outside the bathroom door.
Following me into the kitchen.
Lifting your head when I stood up, just in case we were going somewhere together.
You made a home out of simply being near me.
And now the quiet feels unfinished.
Sometimes I wonder whether I keep turning because some part of you is still moving through these rooms.
Not in the old way.
Not with paws against the floor or warm fur beneath my hand.
But in the small shifts of light.
In the sudden calm that finds me when I am crying.
In the feeling that I am being watched over with the same steady love you gave me here.
Maybe love leaves an echo.
Maybe the heart keeps turning because it knows what the eyes cannot see.
So when I turn and find only empty space, I try not to call it nothing.
I try to believe you were there a moment before…
a soft presence passing close enough for my soul to notice.
I will keep missing you in doorways.
In hallways.
In all the places where I still expect your beautiful face.
And one day, I believe I will turn again…
and this time, you will be there.
No empty room.
No painful waking.
Just you, running toward me beneath a sky filled with light.
Reacties
Een reactie posten