I think the cruelest part of grief is the waiting
I think the cruelest part of grief is the waiting.
Not the big dramatic kind…the small quiet kind.
The kind where your heart still expects to hear footsteps that never come.
For weeks after you left, I kept listening for you.
The soft sound of your paws in the hallway.
The little scratch at the door when you wanted back inside.
The way your collar used to jingle before you appeared beside me like you always somehow knew where I was.
Every tiny sound made me look up.
Every time.
And every time the silence answered instead.
People don’t realize how deeply dogs become part of a home.
Not just physically…
but emotionally.
You filled spaces without trying.
You softened hard days simply by existing near me.
Even your breathing made the room feel less lonely.
Now the house feels too still.
Your bed remains tucked near the wall because I cannot bring myself to move it.
Your favorite toy is still halfway under the couch.
Sometimes sunlight lands across the floor exactly where you used to nap, and for one impossible second, my heart believes you’ll be there again.
But your steps never came.
And somehow that truth keeps breaking me in brand new ways.
Still…
love does strange beautiful things after loss.
Because even though I no longer hear you with my ears, I feel you everywhere else.
In the warmth that suddenly wraps around me when I cry.
In dreams that feel more like visits than memories.
In quiet moments beneath the stars when my soul feels less alone for reasons I cannot explain.
Maybe love travels farther than we understand.
Maybe somewhere beyond the clouds, beneath the Rainbow Bridge;
you still walk toward me too.
Healthy again.
Happy again.
Tail wagging the way it used to whenever our eyes met.
And maybe one day…
when my own journey here is finished…
the first thing I’ll hear will not be silence anymore.
It will be your footsteps running toward me at last.
Reacties
Een reactie posten