Your goodbye didn’t finish

 .Your goodbye didn’t finish

That’s the part I keep coming back to.
It didn’t feel complete.
It didn’t feel like something the heart was meant to accept.
One moment you were here…
and the next, the world just changed without asking us if we were ready.
There was no warning in your eyes that day.
No long explanation.
No final sentence I could hold onto when everything started to fall apart.
Just a silence that arrived too quickly.
And never left.
Sometimes I replay it in my mind.
Not because I want to.
But because my heart keeps searching for something it missed.
A second glance.
A softer moment.
A different ending.
But there isn’t one.
And still… I wait for it anyway.
That’s what makes grief so strange.
It keeps standing at the edge of a moment that can’t be rewritten.
As if love alone could bring closure back.
I still find myself speaking to you in unfinished sentences.
Like you might interrupt me.
Like you might come closer.
Like you might still understand everything I didn’t get to say in time.
There are so many things left hanging between us.
Words I thought I’d say later.
Moments I assumed would always be there waiting.
A goodbye I never got to hold properly in my hands.
But maybe…
maybe that’s not the full truth.
Maybe your goodbye didn’t finish because love doesn’t finish either.
Maybe it stretched itself into something quieter.
Something I had to learn how to feel instead of hear.
Because I still find you in unexpected places.
In the warmth that comes when I’m thinking of you too deeply.
In the memory that arrives without permission and stays a little longer than I can handle.
In the way my heart still reacts to your name like it recognizes home.
And I start to wonder…
what if your goodbye didn’t end?
What if it changed form?
What if it became the way you still reach me now?
Not in sound.
Not in movement.
But in presence.
A presence that doesn’t ask to be seen to be real.
So I carry you through every unfinished moment.
Every sentence that stops too early.
Every breath that still feels like it’s missing something.
Because even without closure…
there is connection.
Even without a final goodbye…
there is love that refuses to end where it was left.
And maybe one day, beyond the Rainbow Bridge, I’ll finally understand what your silence was trying to become.
Until then…
I’ll keep holding the goodbye that never finished.
Not as an ending.
But as a love that simply continued. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster