Lessons From the Quiet Bowl

 “Lessons From the Quiet Bowl”

I once believed love was something you could protect if you stayed awake long enough. Now the house offers quieter truths. The water bowl shines untouched. The leash waits for a walk that never begins. Sunlight rests on your bed as though you taught it how to stay.

People say time heals. But time only rearranges the silence. I still stop at doors no one scratches. I still fold blankets around an absence. I still hear the soft rhythm of paws that belong to yesterday.

Maybe I was foolish to keep pockets ready with treats, to leave space for a miracle that wouldn’t come. But longing was our shared language before farewells existed. You were never mine to keep—only mine to love.

So I love you in the small ways now: fresh water, an untangled leash, stories spoken into rooms that remember your name. If hope needs a home, it can stay on the windowsill. And if the wind carries back the chime of your collar, I’ll take it as your hello. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster