There are days in grief that don’t feel like they pass

 There are days in grief that don’t feel like they pass…

They just… stay.
That day was one of them.
I can still see it in pieces.
The quiet that felt too heavy for the room.
The way I kept watching you breathe, like if I looked away even for a second, something might change.
The small hope I tried to hold onto with shaking hands.
And the part I keep returning to…
Is how time didn’t move the same after that.
Because even after everything ended…
Something inside me stayed there.
In that room.
In that moment.
With you.
People say “time heals.”
But what they don’t tell you is that sometimes time just folds.
It wraps that day up and keeps it inside your heart like it never left.
So you learn to live around it.
You learn to wake up and function and speak and smile…
While a part of you is still sitting beside that moment, quietly holding your breath.
I still remember the smallest details.
The way the light looked through the window.
The sound of the room when everything else went still.
The way my heart kept hoping for one more sign.
One more look.
One more second where I could believe it wasn’t happening.
But it was.
And yet…
Love didn’t end there.
It changed shape.
It became silence that follows me.
It became memory that breathes when I’m not ready for it.
It became the way I still say your name in my mind like you’re just in the other room.
That day didn’t end the way days are supposed to end.
It didn’t close cleanly.
It didn’t fade gently.
It stayed.
But so did you.
Not in the way I can hold you anymore…
But in the way you’ve become part of everything I am now.
In the way I love differently because of you.
In the way I notice small joys more carefully now.
In the way my heart still reaches for you without thinking.
And maybe that’s the only reason I can keep going.
Because even though that day never ended…
Neither did love.
It just learned how to survive inside it.
And one day, when I reach whatever comes after all of this…
I don’t think I’ll be surprised to see you.
I think I’ll just finally feel that day soften.
And end the way it was always meant to.
In peace.
In reunion.
In love that never once let go.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster