There are moments when I still feel your warmth

 There are moments when I still feel your warmth before I remember you're gone. I'll be sitting quietly in the living room, lost in thought, and suddenly it feels as though you're right beside me again. Not in a way I can see, but in a way my heart instantly recognizes. For a brief second, everything feels the way it used to.

The house still holds pieces of you. The corner where you loved to sleep catches the afternoon sunlight just the same. The hallway where you greeted me every day remains unchanged. Even now, I sometimes glance toward those familiar places, half expecting to see your tail wagging as if no time has passed at all.

I used to think your warmth left with you. I thought it disappeared the moment I said goodbye and watched you leave this world. But grief has a way of teaching lessons we never wanted to learn. It has shown me that love doesn't simply vanish when a beloved dog takes their final journey.

Your warmth lingers in the memories that still make me smile when I least expect it. It lingers in the photographs I pause to look at a little longer than I planned. It lingers in the stories I still tell about you, stories that always seem to end with laughter mixed with tears. Somehow, you remain part of my everyday life.

Sometimes it's the smallest things that bring you close again. The sound of a collar jingling in a store. A dog that looks a little like you passing by on a walk. The sight of your favorite toy tucked away in a drawer I can't quite bring myself to empty. Each moment feels like a gentle reminder that love leaves fingerprints everywhere.

I still miss the simple comforts you gave so freely. The way you rested your head on my lap after a long day. The way you followed me from room to room as though being together was the most important thing in the world. The way your presence could make loneliness disappear without a single word.

When the nights feel especially quiet, I like to imagine you beyond the Rainbow Bridge. I picture endless green meadows stretching beneath a golden sky. I see you running with strong legs and a happy heart, free from pain and surrounded by peace. And somehow, that image brings comfort to the ache I still carry.

Maybe that's why your warmth never truly faded. Maybe love this deep becomes part of who we are. It settles into our hearts, our homes, and our memories. It stays with us through every season, every milestone, and every ordinary day that follows.

So even though I can't reach out and touch you anymore, I still feel you here. In the sunlight across the floor. In the quiet moments before sleep. In the love that continues growing long after goodbye.

Your warmth lingers here.

And I have a feeling it always will.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster