Nobody tells you that healing has its own kind of heartbreak

 Nobody tells you that healing has its own kind of heartbreak.

People talk about moving forward as if it's a straight road. They speak as though one day you'll wake up and the pain will be smaller. But some days, growing around a loss aches in ways you never expected. Some days, healing feels like learning how to miss someone differently.

For a long time, I was afraid to feel better.

I worried that smiling meant I was leaving you behind. I worried that laughing at old memories somehow dishonored the love we shared. Part of me believed the pain was proof of how much you mattered, so letting go of it felt impossible.

But grief has a quiet wisdom hidden inside it.

It teaches slowly. It doesn't arrive with answers or instructions. Instead, it whispers through ordinary moments. Through the memories that suddenly make you smile before they make you cry. Through the realization that love can exist beside sadness without replacing it.

I've started noticing small changes in myself.

I can look at your photographs a little longer now. I can tell stories about you without always breaking down halfway through. I can remember the funny things you did and find myself laughing instead of immediately reaching for tissues. The ache is still there, but it no longer carries all the weight alone.

That doesn't mean I miss you any less.

There are still evenings when the house feels too quiet. There are still mornings when I expect to hear your paws moving across the floor. There are still moments when I would give anything for one more walk, one more cuddle, one more chance to tell you how deeply you were loved.

But something beautiful has begun growing alongside the pain.

Gratitude.

Gratitude for every muddy pawprint you tracked through the house. Gratitude for every tail wag that greeted me after a difficult day. Gratitude for the countless moments that seemed ordinary at the time but now feel like treasures I carry inside my heart.

I think that's what healing really is.

Not forgetting. Not moving on. Not leaving them behind. Healing is learning how to carry their love without letting the weight of loss stop you from living. It's allowing their memory to become a source of strength instead of only sorrow.

Sometimes I imagine you watching me from beyond the Rainbow Bridge.

I picture you running through endless meadows beneath golden skies, healthy and happy and free. I imagine you looking back at me with those familiar eyes, silently cheering me on as I take another step forward. Not because you're far away, but because your love is still helping guide me.

So yes, I am still aching.

There are parts of my heart that will always ache for you. There are spaces in my life that no one else could ever fill. But I'm growing too. Growing stronger. Growing softer. Growing into the person your love helped me become.

And maybe that's the greatest gift you left behind.

Not just the memories.
Not just the love.

But the courage to keep going while carrying both.
Because every step forward still carries a piece of you.

And every piece of you still feels like home. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster