Dante Gabriel Rossetti


Speaking as a William Blake scholar, I'm embarrassed that I missed Rossetti's (1828-1882) recent birthday. If it hadn’t been for his obsession with Blake’s art and poetry, he’d probably be largely forgotten today. But that’s a topic for another day. 👇
An inspired and provocative nonconformist, Rossetti made his name as a founding member of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, who challenged the “decadent” indulgences and dramatic historical narratives that were the fashion of the day. Instead, they found inspiration in the purity and religious symbolism of mediaeval art.
His sexual relationships with his models were the stuff of legend and scandalized the public.
But, oh, the luscious art that resulted!
One of my most treasured possessions is a framed letter from Rossetti promising a painting to a prospective client. The letter is dated “16 Cheyne Walk 24 Nov”, but he lived there for 20 years (with a parade of exotic animals that included two wombats, a toucan and a llama) so I can’t guess at the year. Still, I suspect it was after the disastrous critical response to his first collection of poetry left him unable to work at either painting or poetry.
Things didn’t end well...
Drug addiction and mental instability consumed him and he spent his last years as a recluse before, in 1882 at age 53, kidney disease finally did him in.
Perhaps the critics were right that his poetry isn’t as good as his paintings, but if I were a Victorian maiden I’m sure it would make me swoon:
"You have been mine before —
How long ago I may not know:
But just when at that swallow’s soar, your neck turned so,
Some veil did fall, — I knew it all of yore."
" Deep in the sun-searched growths the dragon-fly
Hangs like a blue thread loosened from the sky:
So this winged hour is dropt to us from above.
Oh! clasp we to our hearts, for deathless dower,
This close-companioned inarticulate hour
When twofold silence was the song of love."
***
Illustration: D.G Rossetti ('Self-Portrait', 1847)

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

LIVE - Sergey Lazarev - You Are The Only One (Russia) at the Grand Final